Our set of beliefs have the power to change us – to improve us. However, on the flipside, these same beliefs can also keep us from getting to where we want to go. There a such a thing as limiting belief. This is any thought that is considered to be detrimental for our personal growth. These beliefs need not be always detrimental, but there comes a point when these start to limit you. Getting rid of limiting beliefs is a process.
Here are the steps on how you can do it.
Getting Rid of the Limiting Mindset
1. Identify your limiting beliefs – Most beliefs limit you without you even knowing it. Identifying wrong beliefs, attitudes and behaviors is always the first step in correcting them. Take time to think if there are any thoughts or actions that may be hindering you from reaching your full potential as a person. Also, keep in mind that you have to be totally honest with yourself, no matter how hard it might be to let go of some beliefs, you have to take responsibility for them and deal with them.
2. Create an alternative belief – Like already mentioned, once you have identified a limiting belief, it is now time to do something about it. The first step is to get it out of your system by finding a belief that will replace to old one. For that, choose one that instead of limiting you, empower you and gives you a more positive attitude. For example, instead of thinking that you are not good enough for some girls, take this as a challenge to improve your circumstances and become a better man, thus becoming a man who is attractive.
3. Remove the emotional component from the belief – There are times when a belief, beneficial or otherwise, is linked to an underlying emotion. One of the reasons why people are unable to let go of a negative belief is because of the emotional investment in it. For example, you had that belief because it either helped you survive in the past or you developed it while growing up as a coping mechanism. That’s why removing that emotional link will help you to eliminate that detrimental behavior for good.
4. Create a better outlook – One reason why beliefs persist is because of an outlook attached to them. One possible reason why you are still holding on to that limiting belief is because of another belief attached to it. For example, you may believe that you aren’t good enough for a girl just because you doubt in your own abilities. That’s why a much better alternative is to just start believing that you are, in fact, someone who is worthy of every girl he meets. Using the example mentioned, instead of doubting your abilities, believe that there are ways to make them better.
5. Trust in your new belief – The final step in changing your limiting beliefs is to have trust that going for the alternative is for the better. For example, instead of believing you’re not good enough, convince yourself that you still have time to change and there are many ways to do it. Trust that the change you made is for the better. This will help you stick with it. Find as many good reasons as possible to solidify your resolve and believe that you did the right choice.
You can always make a positive change in your life if you so choose to. Just don’t let limiting beliefs get you down and trust in yourself. You are actually capable of more than you think. If you accept this fact, you will have no problems growing and becoming the kind of man you always wanted to be. You can either have results or excuses, not both!